Saturday, October 21

Six Degrees of Togetherness

My plane just got in... I'm sitting in the airport now waiting for my luggage to come around that nifty luggage dispenser thing. I've always been interested in what it looks like on the other side of those black plastic flaps, to be honest. I've always imagined it looks something like that scene in Toy Story 2 where they... well, go behind those black plastic flaps. It must be amazing to stand there and think that each piece of luggage has a story...

The contents of each bag or suitcase reveal the life of a different individual, with thoughts and feelings and a past and a future. How do you know that, as you stand there watching all the bags slide past you on the conveyor belt, that the bag doesn't contain a priceless painting? Or a severed hand? Or just a toothbrush, toothpaste, and a lot of balled-up newspaper? One day, the person who belongs to that red suitcase over there could go on to be President of the United States, or a famous actor who marries a different woman yearly, or a serial killer who performs human sacrifices by the light of the full moon. You never know! It's mind-blowing, really.

To think that the grey duffel bag might belong to someone you went to High School with... or to someone you passed on the street during a family vacation when you were twelve... and to think that you'll never know...

I honestly believe if everyone knew the extent to which we're all connected, a lot of people would literally go insane from the knowledge.

To realize that I passed a woman in the airport who used to live down the street from this guy in California who's sister married a man from Florida who used to be friends with a dog-catcher who once picked up a mutt that belonged to a little girl who grew up to become a Satan-worshipper who sacrificed humans before moving to Utah where she killed a girl who once knew a man who sat in this very same seat in O'Hare... it would be amazing.

And that's just following a single chain of possible (yet probably unlikely... I don't even know if the Satan-worshipping thing is true) links. I could go from that woman I passed in the airport to her mother's English teacher instead, and open up an infinite world of possibilities. Imagine who I can connect myself with!

Sorry. Random ramblings. I don't really know what to write about at the moment... I've been getting a lot of emails from you guys asking for hints as to how to get into the hidden sections of the PhoenixFire website. Trust me, if I knew, I would tell you. What I'm asking you to do is find out the web addresses to the extra pages. I was also glad to see you guys found the forum. I was worried I made the link too hard... but you guys are good.

Ah, there goes my bag. I'd better run.

EDIT: Can you tell I like the show Six Degrees a LOT?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes we are good, but some of us also like to talk ;)